SUBPART C. NURSING SUPPLY AND DEMAND COUNCIL
§1007. Nursing Supply and Demand Council; creation; membership; vacancies; compensation; staff and facilities; powers and duties
A.(1) There is hereby created in the Department of Education, under the jurisdiction of the Board of Regents, the Nursing Supply and Demand Council, hereafter in this Section referred to as the "council", as an advisory council to the Louisiana Health Works Commission created pursuant to the provisions of R.S. 17:2048.51.
(2)(a) The following groups, organizations, and agencies shall each appoint one member of the council who shall serve at the pleasure of the appointing group, organization, or agency:
(i) The Louisiana State Board of Practical Nurses Examiners.
(ii) The Louisiana State Board of Nursing.
(iii) The Louisiana Nursing Home Association.
(iv) The Louisiana State Nurses Association.
(v) The Louisiana Hospital Association.
(vi) The Board of Regents.
(vii) The office of public health.
(viii) The Louisiana Association of Independent Colleges and Universities.
(ix) The Louisiana Black Nurses Organization New Orleans, Louisiana.
(x) The Louisiana Council of Administrators of Nursing Education.
(xi) Repealed by Acts 2014, No. 238, §2.
(xii) The Louisiana Association of Nurse Anesthetists.
(xiii) The Louisiana Organization of Nurse Executives.
(xiv) Repealed by Acts 2014, No. 238, §2.
(xv) The Louisiana Association of Nurse Practitioners.
(xvi) The Louisiana Council of periOperative Registered Nurses Chapters.
(xvii) The Louisiana School Nurses Organization.
(xviii) The Southern University School of Nursing.
(b) The president of the Louisiana Community and Technical College System or his designee shall be a member of the council.
(c) Additional members of the council may be added at any time upon a majority vote of the members named in Subparagraph (a).
(3) Vacancies on the council shall be filled by the group, organization, or agency whose appointee created the vacancy.
(4) Members shall serve without compensation.
(5) The council shall adopt rules of procedure and shall elect its own chairperson who shall organize the council and its work, call meetings, represent the council, and do such other tasks as the council directs or its rules require.
(6) The Board of Regents shall provide whatever staff and facility the council needs to accomplish its tasks.
B. The council shall:
(1) Study all aspects of the supply of and demand for nursing assistants, licensed practical nurses, registered nurses, nurses who have a baccalaureate degree, certified registered nurse anesthetists, and nurse educators, particularly the following issues:
(a) Training and licensing requirements for each level and type of nurse or nurse assistant.
(b) The availability of nursing training for each level and type of nurse or nurse assistant, whether the training is provided in a public, quasi-public, or private institution or agency.
(c) The nature and difficulties of articulation among the various nurse training programs.
(d) The size of the potential student pool, particularly including the number of applicants who are not admitted to the program of their choice because of a lack of available space.
(e) The employment opportunities for nurses and the number of unfilled nursing vacancies in the public and private sector.
(f) The nature and level of compensation for nurses in various employment fields and its relationship, if any, to the availability of nurses.
(2) Make annual reports to the Louisiana Health Works Commission on all issues required in this Subsection to be studied, particularly including any changes in the nature of the supply and demand situation since the last report.
(3), (4) Repealed by Acts 2008, No. 534, §4, eff. June 30, 2008.
C. The council may:
(1) Request the assistance of any state agency or any state official in acquiring information or cooperation necessary to fulfilling its duties.
(2) Accept and expend any contributions, pecuniary or otherwise, which would assist in meeting the requirements of this Section.
Acts 1991, No. 818, §4; Acts 1992, No. 1104, §1; Acts 2001, No. 675, §1; Acts 2008, No. 534, §§3, 4, eff. June 30, 2008; Acts 2014, No. 238, §§1, 2.